Today we said goodbye to our Year 11 Students. The heavens smiled upon us and stopped raining for the first time in days. During the leavers' Mass there were tears of happiness and sadness. Students and staff laughed together as they shared memories of the past five years. Mrs Twist gave students the following, very sound advice:
So as you leave the school in uniform for the last time I would like to offer a little advice:
- No matter whether you get the exam results you expect or need, you are at the start of an amazing journey that is as yet, undefined. Grab this precious opportunity with both hands and be bold.
- Take a piece of the school with you (not literally). Over time you will have absorbed not only information, knowledge and skills but also St Cuthbert’s values, culture and history. Take that experience and use it to make a difference in the world. Never imagine that you are too small or insignificant to make that difference.
- Have big dreams and ambitions. I hope that school has prepared you to be resilient and equipped you with the grit and determination to succeed and overcome the inevitable knock backs along the way. It’s easy to feel defeated at times but view these moments as a challenge. Remember, positivity attracts positivity and positive people are generally great to be around.
- Cast your net wide – be courageous about meeting people, having a go at something you have not done before. NEVER be afraid to try.
- Get the little things right: be on time, treat others as you wish to be treated and work hard.
- As you get older, you will get to know yourself better. Always, always be true. Never try to be what you are not – it’s a recipe for disappointment and unhappiness.
- Keep in touch with us, you can join our St Cuthberts Alumni website and stay in contact with us and your friends easily.
- And finally….stay safe – keep away from railway lines, electric pylons and water!!!'
Great advice! Here are some of the photographs taken during and after the Mass. We wish Year 11 the best of luck in their upcoming exams and beyond.